Good Morning Friends ! Happy Friday! I hope you are having a wonderful start to your day. It’s a slow start kind of day here at the Smith’s. It seems as thought everyone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. All three kids woke up around 7am – grumpy as ever. It’s like they feed off each others mood. When one is moody or grouchy , soon the others will be too. Are your kids like that? Today we have a few errands to run ( which is always fun with three kids- said no one ever.) and I finally snagged a spot for grocery pick-up . Thank goodness , I was running out of our basic pantry staples so I had quite a large order . I hope you all have a great Friday and a fun weekend- we’ll be working in the garden , doing yard work and power washing our house. Not the most glamorous , but definitely needed. Cheers to the weekend!
Anyway, enough babbling – Let’s get to my Top 10 Must Haves for school at home . I hope you enjoy!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. Meaning , if you click on a link and purchase an item , I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps me run this blog and buy all the snacks for my always starving children 🙂 As always , I only recommend products that I personally love and use for my family.
In today’s post I am sharing with you my top 10 must haves for school at home. Funny story – before Covid-19 even hit the U.S , I found myself diving into the world of homeschooling. Tyler and I were both interested in learning more , so I began to research. Pinterest was the holy grail of information. I found so many great blogs and resources on the topic. I made countless lists of pros and cons, researched curriculum options – you name it. We were starting to really consider the idea of homeschooling both Harper and Cole for the 2020-21 school year. Then Covid hit, schools closed and we found ourselves ” remote learning ” for the remainder of the school year, like most families across the world.
I am a planner by nature. I make lists , I like to be prepared and have a clear plan with multiple back ups. I’m very much a “just in case” kind of gal. So this quarantine , stay at home , remote learning kind of stuff really threw me for a loop . Surprisingly I think I have only had a few breakdowns since March – so I’m giving myself a pat on the back for that.
In the midst of the chaos , and reading over all of my homeschooling research ( I have highlighted pages in a notebook – very type A over here 🙂 ) I decided that sharing a “Top 10 must haves ” list with all of you would be a good idea! Plus, it’s looking like school as we ( and our kids) know it will likely look a little different this year for many people. I know that our district is doing the first 9 weeks 100% remote , then they plan to re-evaluate and go from there. I personally love this idea. I do know that I 100 percent do not envy the people who have to make these decisions. I couldn’t imagine having that stress. If you are one of those folks, God bless you .
Also , this is a list I have for parents who are doing remote learning ( ie. the school is providing you with a curriculum ) But it could also work for homeschooling parents too, I would just add finding a curriculum to the list .
Before we get to the supply list…
I highly recommend setting up a school area in your home. This could be in an extra room , playroom , even in your kitchen ( that is where our school space is) . You don’t need a lot of space . I personally use our kitchen table as our desk. I have a vintage cart that I use to store all of our school supplies. My advice is just make sure its functional and distraction free ( no t.v +toys etc) .
10 MUST have school at home supplies.
- Storage. This could be cute fabric baskets – wicker baskets- wire baskets…whatever your heart desires. I personally just used items that I had on hand , but I plan to order more decorative baskets soon , since my cart is visible as soon as you walk into my house. These are great for storing notebooks, books , pens, crayons etc. I really love these baskets and these too . Affordable and Functional. Also this is great for pencil/colored pencil / crayon and marker storage.
2. Pencils and Sharpener . I think this is a given . Definitely a must have for school work. My kids love these pencils and this sharpener is great quality and budget friendly and safe for kids to use.
3. Notebooks. I personally don’t get to fancy with these. I seem to always have a ton of notebooks on hand, Harper loves to write letters to family and friends , so she goes through them quickly. These are currently in my amazon cart , I let her pick out a few pretty ones for school work.
4. Binders. I have one binder currently for Harper , she is going into second grade so I don’t think we will need more than that. But , if you have older kids in middle school or high school , you might want one for each subject. that just depends on your specific needs. I use Harper’s binder to store all of the print offs that the school sent home in the spring. I have it organized by subject. These are a great price and cute design.
5. Dividers. Again , this is a given if you are purchasing a binder.
6. Colored pencils, crayons, markers. This is probably geared toward the younger crowd. I always have multiple packs of these on hand. My kids are always coloring or crafting – so we always seem to have an abundance. Personally I buy two or three packs of each every time I go to Walmart. P.s The 98 cent ones are just as good as the 2-3 dollar packs 🙂
7. 3 hole Punch. I have this one. I’ve had it for years and never had any issues. It has come in handy many times!
8. Stickers. This made the list for the simple fact that stickers are a great way to encourage ( or bribe) kids to finish their work , use their manners, complete tasks etc. Stickers are awesome . Especially for the younger crowd. Cole will be starting pre-k (at home) and I know we will be going through a lot stickers with him. He is our wild child – so bribing is a must if we want him to focus. These are great for school , chore chart, potty training ,etc.
9. Planner. This is a must for mom or teacher! I am a paper and pen kind of gal . I like to write things down. As a multitasking mama , a cute and fuctional planner is going to make your heart sing. I personally use this The Big Happy Planner for every day life , I have a Classic Happy Planner for my blogging and I want to purchase the Teacher edition as well. Would you be interested in a post about how I use my Happy Planner? Let me know in comments- I’d be happy to share with fellow planner lovers 🙂 Regardless of what brand you use , I think having a way to keep track of assignments , due dates and everything else you may be juggling is a must!
10. A positive attitude. I know things aren’t going as planned , and for most parents, trying to figure out how to juggle being a parent, husband/wife , care giver and now a teacher is rough. It is a lot , and lets face it ..spending 24 hours a day , 7 days a week with your kids can be stressful. But we have to remember that this is stressful on them too. They have to spend 24 hours a day , 7 days a week with us ! They are also missing out on seeing their friends , playing sports and just being “normal” ( is that still a thing ? ) So , I know it’s not easy , trust me I lose my sh** on at least one kid daily . We’re human , it’s normal to go a little crazy, but we have to have a positive mindset going into the school year. So drink a cup (or five) of coffee , put on your big girl pants and get this done. We have little people that are struggling just as much as us . They need us to be happy and helpful. They need us to make learning fun and to show them that we are making the best of any situation the universe throws at us . That in itself is a powerful thing to teach a child.
I hope this list of Top 10 Must Have Items for School at Home helps you and maybe takes a little bit of stress off your shoulders. It is easy to accomplish a functional learning space at home on a budget – it doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. Remember , we’re all in this together . Do you have items to add? Add them in comments below!
until next time
Like this post? Comment below !